Our helplines are often buzzing with our new entrepreneurs’ burning questions surrounding the company registration process. We love people calling in or sending emails.

Calling in isn’t for everybody, so we thought it would be a good idea to share answers to our most popular questions on a monthly basis.

See our other helpline articles here.

Can I correct information/mistakes at Companies House?

It depends on the mistake. The process for making a change to any incorrect information held by Companies House depends on the type of information that is incorrect.

The most common mistake is providing incorrect details for a Director. This is quite easy to fix. You can correct this information by completing and submitting a form CH01 (Change of director’s details – please note for a corporate director a form CH02 should be used). You’ll need the following information:

  • Title
  • Name
  • Country of residence
  • Nationality
  • Business occupation
  • Service address or residential address.

If there has been an error in the date of birth provided then the procedure is more complex, and for this reason where this error has occurred we suggest that the officer is resigned and re-appointed with the correct details, albeit this isn’t advisable if a lot of time has past since the appointment. Further to section 167 Companies Act 2006 a company must give notice to Companies House of an appointment or resignation, or a change of particulars, within a 14 day period.

If you do not choose to resign and re-appoint the officer, then there are a number of forms that need to be completed. If the error was made on incorporation then forms RPCH01 and RP02A should be submitted to Companies House, or if the error was made after incorporation, on a form CH01, then forms RP02A and AP01 should be submitted. These forms cannot be filed online.

Companies House do have the power to remove a document from the record if they have accepted it in error, when instead it should have been rejected. However, if a document has been accepted for filing which contains incorrect information but is otherwise correct, then Companies House cannot remove the document from the record without a court order. If seeking a court order then you should get advice from a solicitor or legal professional.

In certain circumstances it is possible to second file a document previously delivered to Companies House, where the original document contained inaccuracies that need to be corrected. This can be done with a form RP04 which has to be submitted with the “corrected” document. However, this form can only be used to second file certain forms (certainly not all Companies House documents) and therefore before proceeding it is advisable to call our helpline so we can provide advice to your specific situation.


At Quick we’re always happy to help. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone. Alternatively, visit our FAQs and Guides.

Telephone: 0844 376 3333

Email: enquiries@quickformations.com